Tudor Super Bowl 1 – Republished from “The Read Zone”


I remember that tense morning. We all arrived to the top floor of Micheal Jordan’s restraunt, all awaiting the tenuous future that would unveil that day. At stake, the first Super Bowl of electric football.

We were one of the chosen four teams to play. Our videotape, of the “I trap vs. a 3-4 defense,” shown in the playbook section, was chosen among hundreds. We put together a team composed of our best bases, worked with them, videotaped the practice sessions so we could go back and evaluate each play, and waited.

It seemed like ages waiting in the hotel lobby to meet the other contestants. Finally we would meet other EF enthusiasts. After everyone arrived and introductions were completed, we went to a super downtown steakhouse (Gibson’s) where we ate and discussed the rules. Much to our surprise, everyone played so incredibly different. Of the four contestants, all four passed in completely different manners. The formation of the ruels, which was supposed to be completed in about thirty minutes, took six hours of arguing and debating!

Our first game was against the New York Jets coached by Clem McCauliffe. After a short kick return, we set up for our first play. In that game, the offense set up its entire team first, then the defense. We set up in a pro offense with the QB running away from the LOS. The defense, however, crammed the line of scrimmage, forcing us on the next down to run a “T” formation with little line separation.

The game was fiece! Our lines were much stronger and our backs better, but Clem’s receiver were getting off our receivers (we do not hold the receiver at the LOS in our league, and thus were unfamiliar with this defensive technique). Clem’s passing was noteworthy, but the Oilers won the game 32-7.

The biggest game was over! We did not want to just sit and watch the first Tudor Super Bowl, so even if we lost, we could at least say we played in the game. I didn’t go anywhere near the table where the trophy was stationed, it was far too intimidating. Rather I took one bite of my fantastic chicken sandwich and started scouting our opponent.

In the NFC Championship the Lions, coached by Greg Hagely, played the Bears, coached by Myron Evans. Even though the player of the game was Greg’s #88, an incredible running back/wide receiver who was one of Mike’s newly released bases, Myron’s Bears were too tough. Myron pushed Greg’s Lions around. They would be a tough game!

Finally game time came. For this game, there would be play-by-play and a huge crowd, and all the pressure of any Super Bowl ever played by NFL teams! We received the kickoff and took most of the first half to score. When our two-point conversion was successful and Myron failed to score with the little time remaining, The Oilers led at the half 8-0.

The second half opened with a defensive stand and another touchdown run by Spencer Tillman. With the game 16-0, Myron went on an impressive drive, highlighted by a long reverse, to narrow the margin to 16-8.

When the kickoff went out of the end zone, we had to decide whether to risk a long return or call a touchback. We did the later, relying on our strong offensive line to run out the clock.

For one moment it did get tense, but the Oilers, looking like the old “Luv ya’ Blue” days, were able to kill the clock and win the game! Without a doubt, this was my most awesome electric football moment!

For days on end I would just sit and look at the impressive trophy handed to us by Commissioner Mike Landsman. The media attention was fantastic, as we appeared on a few TV stations and numerous radio talk shows. Our dream was fullfilled…at least for this year!

By Mark and Bill Klingbeil



Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Coach k-lo says:

    great to revisit this one!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.